Monday, May 9, 2016

Weekly Letter to President Heid

Sunday was Mother's Day and Brigham got to call home and talk with us for about an hour. It was great hearing from him. He has a bit of an accent, speaks like a Ghanain, and is doing really well. He has adjusted to life in Oyoko and is working hard. We are so proud of him and the things he is doing in Africa. 


Dear Family,

It was so great to talk to you again yesterday. I don't have much to say so I will just send you my letter to President this week.
Dear President Heid,
I was very grateful to be able to talk with my family yesterday. It is really incredible how much I miss them and how much I love them. I really don't know where I would be without them. I have often wondered to myself why God decided to put me in that family and to be born into the church. I don't know exactly why but I am beyond grateful for it. As I hung up the call Elder Okorie asked me, "Why is there water in your eyes?" I told him it was because I love my family. I am not ashamed that I miss my family, nor am I ashamed of crying. I have often seen coming on mission much like the Plan of Salvation. We leave our home and our parents for some time, so we can learn to love in a deeper way. There was a time in my life where I missed my Heavenly home, but I found that because of that time my Heavenly home felt closer to me. I think the same has happened with my family. As I have missed my family, I have felt my love for them as well as my testimony of eternal families increase. I don't have to always be worried or missing them, because as deeply as I know that the Plan of Salvation is true, I also know that God has a specific plan for me and my family. That plan is for me to be here.
My mom asked me yesterday how missionary work had blessed me. I have come to find that as I have met people and learned to love people I have been blessed with a greater understanding of God’s plan for me and for all His children. When you care for someone and try to teach them the things you can see will bless them and make them happy, you understand better that God cares for us and has sent us here to try to teach us the things that he can see will bless us and make us happy, even if we can’t understand it now.

Thank you all so much. I love you all. I wan't pictures of Emily's baby when she comes!! Hopefully I will do something fun today. (It was Brigham's birthday when he wrote this.) I think I might splurge and go get pizza.

Love
Elder Shelton

No comments:

Post a Comment