Monday, January 23, 2017

A Baptism and a New Companion




January 16, 2017

We'll transfer news has come... I'm still in the office. Elder Anusiem will still be here. Elder Harris is leaving though which makes me sad because we became really good friends. He is going to Koforidua with Elder Buys who goes home in a transfer. I will be receiving a new companion though. Elder Helm from Idaho will join us in the office to be a three-some. He had previously gone home to have surgery on a bad knee and it is acting up again so Pres wants him here to rest his knee a bit. I'm super excited because the guy is a really solid and mature missionary. 

The week was good. I got to go on a full day exchange with Elder Gamil from the Philippines and it was super awesome to be out for the full day teaching people. Also this week President and Sister Heid played tennis with Elder Harris and I. I thought it would be pretty fun and chill but President Heid turned from President to Coach and things got pretty intimidating. It was fun though.  


Miracle of this week. In the office it is easy to feel like the work you are doing doesn't really influence anything. This week I was able to do a baptismal interview for the assistants. I originally found the woman on our referral system. She had contacted the church and had spoken to Elders in the U.S. over google hangouts. I called her and found that she was a Kenyan who is here at a university and is a super genius. She gets paid to go to school there. Anyways she lived in the Accra, West mission and I referred her to them. About a month later for some reason I had the prompting to call her again and see if the missionaries had contacted her. They hadn't but she told me that for the Christmas Break all the international students from her school would live in the University of Ghana hostels (the assistants area). I gave the referral to them and they followed up and taught her and now she is baptized. As I was doing the interview it was really cool because I've never seen someone who knows so much and is so prepared for baptism. At the end she bore her testimony about how she was always searching for the truth and could never find it but she had really come to find the church was true through her prayers. It made me so happy to know that I was a little part of that long chain that was able to connect her to the truth and to Christ. I've really never seen a convert so converted before. It was way cool. 


Today is transfers so everything right now is pandemonium. That's why I'm using my phone today. Anyways I feel like I am forgetting a lot but I can't remember anything right now. 

I love you so much.
Elder Shelton 

Elder Shelton, his two office companions, the AP's, and Pres. & Sis. Heid

January 23, 2007

I was able to proselyte this week with a missionary named Elder Magda. It was nice to get out for another entire day. I have noticed that when I proselyte now I proselyte in a very different way. I think I care a lot more about getting to know people and loving them rather than just presenting a message. It truly is a treasure to meet and visit people.


I guess you are probably wondering about Elder Helm as well. He is from Idaho. Was a stud track star and football athlete. He was in the MTC group a transfer before me but might go home with me because he went back home for a couple months to have surgery on his knee. That is actually why he is in the office, to rest his rehabbing knee a bit. Hes a really cool guy. We can just talk for a long time and get along well. Its weird to have 2 companions though. Its like one is always the third wheel. Sometimes I just get left here in the office and it is really weird.
I don't know when I will be transferred out of the office. I think I am about half way done with my service here. I don't know though.

What was a miracle or spiritual moment this week? Good question. President allowed us to be a bigger part of the decision making process when the new missionaries came in. It was really cool to see how a transfer works and the prayerful decisions behind it.

Anyways. I love you.
Elder Shelton


No comments:

Post a Comment