Monday, September 12, 2016

A Phone Call Home

Great view of Oyoko
Last week's hike to Boti Falls

Editor's Note: We received a phone call early last Friday morning from Brigham. I didn't answer the phone in time as it roused me from a deep sleep. The caller ID said "Ghana" and I got a little excited and a little freaked out. I imagined Brigham possibly being reassigned to the Liberia or Sierra Leone Mission - it has happened to a few other elders as they have reopened those missions. Mike started googling Ghana news outlets to see if there had been any political unrest or natural disasters. After a few minutes when we didn't get another call I figured out how to call the number back. Brigham answered and immediately said, "Mom, I'm ok, I'm ok." and then we were disconnected. We finally were able to connect with him after calling again and he apologized for the early hour. We spoke for maybe three minutes when he said he was getting a call from his District Leaders and needed to answer their call. The phone call ended with a quick "I love you." and then he was gone. Read on to find out why he was allowed to make this unusual call home.

- Brigham's Mom

Dear Family,

Resident of  Boti Falls
It has been a really great week here. I had a mission standard week to finish off my time in Oyoko and hand it off to the next person. I guess I should explain about my assignment and the phone call. On Thursday President Heid called me to ask if I could help one of Oyoko's perspective missionaries to fill out his online application. We planned to go to the internet cafe on Friday evening to help him. I had some questions so I decided to give President Heid a call and clarify what action I should take. We sorted everything out and then he asked, "Elder, do you have an international driving permit?" I explained to him that I was working on getting mine renewed. He said, "Why don't you go ahead and call your mom and tell her to expedite that immediately." I asked, "You want me to call my mom?" He said, "Yeah, why don't you go ahead and give her a call, you'll be working with me in the office so this will be your last week in Oyoko." I was shocked and excited and didn't really know what was going on. I immediately called you because that is what President asked me to do. I was so excited I didn't really think about what time it was there. I knew right when you didn't answer that it was like 4 in the morning and that I had just scared you to death. Anyways, I am glad it all worked out.

In the mission, the President has 2 office Elders. They stay at the mission home with the AP's. "They are President Heid's personal ministers to do whatever the Lord needs them whether it's preparing audio visual materials or buying frying pans or transporting missionaries all over creation." (written by a former Office Elder) My companion will be Elder Falk who is a really cool guy. He went to Olympus high school and played pitcher for their baseball team.

Over the river and through the woods
to the Teye Family's House we go.
The Teye Family
I am very sad to leave Oyoko. There are so many things I will miss about being here. I have seen so much progress in this area. I heard many things about Oyoko as I came here.  I am convinced that no area is "bad". Rather an area is what you make of it. I am confident that I worked my hardest while I was up here. I don't know how much of a difference that will make to the branch or the people here, but I know it has made a difference for me. I will be sad to leave many great investigators, members, recent converts, and my companion. God placed me under the stewardship of this area, and it will be sad to pass it along. I know the Lord will take care of the area and help it to continue to progress.
Elder Shelton and Godfred

Mom's Questions:
Is Elder Robertson staying in Oyoko? Yes.

Do you have time to tell the story about the new drunk guy you've been teaching? His name is Godfred Oware. I told you the story about how we met him. He has traveled all over Africa. He has been under a drinking addiction since he was in high school and he is 43 now. We taught him about baptism and he was so grateful that he hadn't died so that he could be baptized now. He has read like the entire gospel principles book and definitely knows more than all the members now. Super cool guy.
Recent Convert

 With Oyoko Branch Relief Society Presidency
Anyways. I love you all. I will email you next week from my new home.    
   -Elder Shelton
What African Kids Do During a Rain Storm

No comments:

Post a Comment