Monday, January 4, 2016

Happy New Year!

Playing Hide & Seek on Christmas Eve
Dear Family,

Happy New Year! We spent a lot more time in our area this week compared to last week. We taught some lessons this week that made me more optimistic about some of our investigators. It seems that in the last couple of days people have been more willing to listen and to change because of all the New Year's resolutions. I hope to have a really strong week this week.

It is both exciting and weird to me that I am now finished with my training. I still feel like I have so much to learn and that I am a young, inadequate, missionary. I know that I will always have so much to learn, and I will always be inadequate to do such a significant work. Although I am confident that this is where I need to be, and that the Lord has a plan for me if only I am humble enough to accept it. I remember when I first got to Tema Elder Buys said that your first area will always be home. I thought there was no way I could come to find this place as home. Over the last 3 months I have come to love Tema and the people here. Transfers are this week and I will be staying here with Elder Ojaide to carry on the Lord's work.

Making a Christmas Breakfast
For New Years the ward had a big party that went from 5 until 12. We only got to stay until 9 but it was a really fun party with lots of dancing and food. I think I have mentioned this before but parties here are intense. They hire DJ's and you can hear the music from a block away. We also walked into a young single adult party on Saturday night at the chapel and that looked like a lot of fun and we got free food. We had to pull the Sister missionaries away or else they might have been there all night.

Cool story of the week: Last night we were walking home and we said hello to this woman as we passed her on a path. We got a ways away from her and she turned and asked if we had seen the movie Freetown. I said that I had. She happened to be one of the actors in the movie. She played Mrs. Thomas in the movie. We talked for a while and she has apparently done several other movies and shows as well. She said we could IMDB her. She was super nice and cool and hopefully the Tema 3 Elders will start teaching her soon. It was weird to think back about when I saw that movie and how I viewed Ghana and the movie and the people and how I do now. I thought all of the people lived in those kind of circumstances. This lady we met though was just a normal human being that talked and laughed with us and told us about her job and how she got into acting. She even seemed famous in Ghana. These things that were only part of my imagination before are real now and it is weird to recognize the reality of that.
Girls in the Ward


Anyways I love you and hope you have a good week going back into school and work.
Love,
Elder Shelton

No comments:

Post a Comment